How are you all doing? Wow, how I have missed you! It’s the middle of May as I write this and I have to confess that I am just now catching my breath. April was the month of conferences and meetings for me. I’m not just talking about one or two. I was at a conference or had special meetings every week in April, five in all. I learned so much, I enjoyed meeting people and becoming closer to those I already knew but wow did it knock me off my feet for a while when I got home. Plus I had to keep up with all of my virtual assisting work.
I thought it would be helpful to share with you why I believe conferences are so important to a business owner to attend. Here are the top 5 reasons to add conferences to your business.
- To Grow Your Business You Need To Network With New People – Not only is it important for you to meet new people and learn about their business. But you need to have people know you and learn about your business. Networking is a great reason to attend a conference. Resist the urge to sit with people you already know. Pick a different spot to sit each time a break it given.
- Further Your Education – If you don’t get out there and learn the newest way to do things or hear about the latest technology are you really serious about your business?
- Meet The Leaders Of Your Field – Now this is different than networking with other attendees of a conference. I’m talking about finding a way to introduce yourself to the big names in your field. At some conferences you can sign up for 20 minutes or so to discuss your business with those with all the know. If not, go up shake their hand and ask if you can buy them lunch or dinner and have a conversation with them.
- Get On A Mailing List – LOL, I almost heard you gasp. But here is my point. Buy something or get on a list and then study how that person markets to you. Look at how they write an email, how often they contact you, what are the different ways they contact you. Look at the order forms. Become a student of their marketing.
- Take Your Family – If you have kids bring them if you can. Yes, it will be a hassle. But grow the business from your business to a family business. Have them take age appropriate notes and discuss them during meals. My hubby tries to come to as many business conferences with me as he can. That way we can talk about it and it gives us something to bond over instead of argue about. Another great benefit that we are just learning is to take a day or two before or after the conference and add in some fun time. It becomes a vacation that we can write off the majority of the expense as a business trip.
Comment below and tell me what is your favorite conference to go to.